Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, 联成配资_在线配资炒股:Encyclopedia, 联成配资_在线配资炒股:Wikipedia.
v. at·ten·u·at·ed, at·ten·u·at·ing, at·ten·u·ates
1. To make slender, fine, or small: The drought attenuated the river to a narrow channel.
2. To reduce in force, value, amount, or degree; weaken: Medicine attenuated the fever's effect.
3. To lessen the density of; rarefy.
4. Biology To make (bacteria or viruses) less virulent.
5. Electronics To reduce (the amplitude of an electrical signal) with little or no distortion.
To become thin, weak, or fine.
1. Reduced or weakened, as in strength, value, or virulence.
2. Botany Gradually tapering to a slender point.
[Latin attenuāre, attenuāt- : ad-, ad- + tenuāre, to make thin (from tenuis, thin; see ten- in 联成配资_在线配资炒股:Indo-European roots).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. to weaken or become weak; reduce in size, strength, density, or value
2. to make or become thin or fine; extend
3. (Microbiology) (tr) to make (a pathogenic bacterium, virus, etc) less virulent, as by culture in special media or exposure to heat
4. diluted, weakened, slender, or reduced
5. (Botany) botany tapering gradually to a point
[C16: from Latin attenuāre to weaken, from tenuis thin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
at•ten•u•ate(v. əˈtɛn yuˌeɪt; adj. -ɪt, -ˌeɪt)
v. -at•ed, -at•ing,
1. to weaken or reduce in force, intensity, effect, quantity, or value: to attenuate desire.
2. to make thin; make slender or fine.
3. to render less virulent, as a strain of pathogenic virus or bacterium.
4. to reduce the amplitude of (an electronic signal) without distortion.v.i.
5. to become thin or fine; lessen.adj.
6. weakened; diminishing.
7. Bot. tapering gradually to a narrow extremity.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: attenuated
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to 联成配资_在线配资炒股: new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||attenuate - weaken the consistency of (a chemical substance)|
chemical science, chemistry - the science of matter; the branch of the natural sciences dealing with the composition of substances and their properties and reactions
weaken - lessen the strength of; "The fever weakened his body"
|2.||attenuate - become weaker, in strength, value, or magnitude|
weaken - become weaker; "The prisoner's resistance weakened after seven days"
refine - attenuate or reduce in vigor, strength, or validity by polishing or purifying; "many valuable nutrients are refined out of the foods in our modern diet"
|Adj.||1.||attenuate - reduced in strength; "the faded tones of an old recording"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
verb weaken, reduce, contract, lower, diminish, decrease, dilute, lessen, sap, water down, adulterate, enfeeble, enervate, devaluate Preparation and training can attenuate risk.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
1. To lessen or deplete the nerve, energy, or strength of:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
attenuate[əˈtenjʊeɪt] VT → atenuar
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
vt → atténuer
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
vt (= weaken) → 联成配资_在线配资炒股:abschwächen; statement also → abmildern; gas → verdünnen; (= make thinner) → dünn machen; attenuating circumstances → mildernde Umstände
vi (= get weaker) → 联成配资_在线配资炒股:schwächer or 联成配资_在线配资炒股:abgeschwächt werden; (gas) → sich verdünnen; (= get thinner) → dünner werden
adj (Bot) attenuate leaf → lanzettförmiges Blatt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
2. vi → attenuarsi
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995